Sunday, September 9, 2012

Taco Pizza on Naan (Flatbread)



I think taco pizza needs a comeback. One of my favorites is from gambinos pizza. They use refried beans for the sauce of the pizza. I did a taco pizza from scratch on my kamado ceramic grill a while back and it turned out absolutely amazing. It's a little extra work to do the dough from scratch, but it's worth the extra effort!

I recently grilled up some carne asada flank steak and I was pondering what to do with the leftovers. Enchiladas? Burritos? I couldn't decide. I remembered we still had some naan bread in the pantry along with a can of refried beans. *Lightbulb Moment* Then it hit me... TACO FLATBREAD PIZZA!

Here's what you'll need:

The Bread
Naan bread (recommended but any flatbread will work)

The "Sauce"
Half a can of refried beans
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup of Taco seasoning (I use my own recipe)

Toppings
Taco meat (I use my carne asada flank steak recipe)
Shredded Cheese
Lettuce
Taco sauce
Roasted chili corn salsa (optional)

Ok so I started with a flatbread called naan. This type of flatbread from the North of India is juxtaposition at its most beautiful: pillowy and elastic, with dark charred bubbles and a crispy bottom. It's usually made in a tandoor oven, a clay oven that can reach up to 900 degrees F. I can come close with my kamado ceramic grill - but not close enough. The good news is that you can pick it up in most grocery stores. I think even walmart carries it in their bakery department.

Ok so first things first. You'll need to grill the naan to firm it up a little bit. Since the bread itself has already been charred in a 900 degree oven, we can get away with using a panini press or even a toaster oven to crisp it up and still get that smokey grilled flavor. Just brush a little olive oil on both sides of the bread and crisp it up.


























While you've got the naan crisping up, you can work on the refried bean mixture. In a medium size bowl mix a half can of refried beans, a half cup of sour cream, and a half cup of taco seasoning. I use my own blend, but you can use any packet seasoning. I recommend warming, not cooking, the beans in the microwave first. This will make them easier to mix and spread onto the naan bread. Once you've got the refried bean sauce put together, your naan bread should be about finished up on the grill. Spread the "sauce" onto the naan bread just like you would any traditional pizza.


























Next add your carne asada (or other taco meat).













Add the red onion
 
Add the cheese next. This is when I like to throw the pizza into the toaster oven. Just so I don't have to fire up the full size oven. Keep in mind you're just warming up the pizza enough to melt the cheese on top.


Add some roasted chili corn salsa (optional) 
 
Add the lettuce













Don't forget the green onions!


 

A few chopped tomatoes













And finally drizzle some taco sauce over top

No comments:

Post a Comment